Thursday, June 26, 2008

Sushi California

On Tuesday, Lyanne and I went to Costco to exchange some dress pants. I am in dire needs of new dress pants, so we bought some from Costco couple of weeks back. I insisted on getting a size, but it ended up that the pants were too big for me. Therefore, we went to the Santa Clarita Costco to return them and buy ones with smaller waist size.

When we were leaving Costco, we were pondering what we wanted for dinner. Although Costco food court is so dirt cheap, I just did not feel up to the pizza and chicken bake that evening. We decided to drive over to the corner of Sierra Highway and Via Princessa to see what we can find.

We found this sushi restaurant called "Sushi California." It had the logo of Cho-Cho-San and Kisho Sushi. Our experience at Kisho were mixed, sometimes good and lately bad. But we decided, what the hell, let's give it a try.

We walked in, and they told us to grab a seat wherever. We sat, and ordered a total of FOUR rolls plus a Dynamite appetizer. I figured that it was more than enough food for the two of us, and there certainly should be enough to bring lunch the next day.

The sushi got there, and they were small as hell. I would have been okay with that, as long as the food is good. Of course, you guessed it, the food was not good. Not only was it not good, they were actually HORRIBLE. We ordered the Calamari Tempura Crunch roll. The calamari tasted more just like Panko tempura batter. I did not taste any calamari, but Lyanne said that it tasted like rubber.

Then, it was the PINK LADY roll...not my pick, Lyanne picked it. I swear! Anyway, the sushi was supposed to be wrapped in soy paper (pink, of course). Interesting idea, but the sushi was soggy as shit. You pick it up with your chopsticks, and the roll just fall apart. The spicy scallop within that roll was sooo bland. I mean, I know the demographic of Santa Clarita is pretty white, but still, when you order something spicy, maybe a little hint of spice. Don't get me wrong. I don't tolerate food that is very spicy. Only Mike and Lyanne would enjoy getting your tongue getting burned at some Hunan chinese restaurants with plenty of nats.

Anyway, not good. We also ordered the cucumber roll. Oh man, same thing, you pick up the cucumber, it's soggy. Yes, how the hell did they make the cucumber soggy, and it falls apart as soon as your chopsticks pick it up.

And, the Dynamite appetizer. Oh, lord! I don't know what that is, but it's not dynamite. In that plate, there's a bunch of soggy rice, scallop with mayo on it. Yes, you guessed it. Not spicy! Then, there's also some masago on it, with some mushrooms....with avocado? When did dynamite ever get avocado? Anyway, there were not mixed together. They served it Detective Monk style. Weird!

Ok, as if the food is not bad enough. The service was horrible. Those two Asian waitresses gave plenty of attention to the white people in the house. When it came time to serve us food, they dropped it off and ran. We had to ask for refills of tea all the damn time, and we had to ask for everything. The two tables surrounding us were seated by white people. And the waitresses were very attentive. Asked them if they want anything else, and when they put the sushi rolls down on the table, they took the time to tell the patrons what rolls are on that plate. What the hell? I don't want any special service. I just want service like anyone else in that restaurant.

I am ashamed (well, not ashamed) to only put 10% tip, but I thought 10% was too much for those bastards! But still, I had Lyanne grabbed her purse and everything before I sign the receipt, and we bolted out the door. I do not like leaving poor tips, as much as I think they deserve it.

So, folks, don't go to this restaurant.

Their website is www.sushica.com

No comments: